Sunday, June 2, 2013

Keeping In Touch With Our Own Humanity


Sometimes I feel like I'm really in the flow of Spirit, where everything is going along smoothly, and I'm in a state of bliss all the time.  When this happens, I am amazed at how easy it is to write because the words come from a higher power.  I tend to write a lot when I'm in this state of being.

Other times it seems as if I go into spiritual hibernation. I shut out the world as much as one can while going on with living their daily life which includes going to work, walking the dogs and running the kind of errands one has to do to survive.  I still meditate and do some other daily spiritual practices, but it feels much more difficult to "get into" the flow.

It took me a while to realize that I can never really leave the flow, and even when I feel like life is not flowing smoothly, I am always in the midst of the Divine.  Spirit is eternal and ever flowing through us.

There are times I am just more aware of the divine spirit within me, just as there are times I am more aware of my humanity.  Being more aware of one side does not negate the presence, power and influence of the other.  We are both divine and human.  That is the nature of our duality.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience, but we are also human beings having a spiritual experience.

As much as I enjoy living on the spiritual mountain top, I also treasure living in the valleys because doing so allows me to stay grounded and to appreciate the mountain top so much more.  This reminds me of the phrase my parents used to say: "He's so heavenly minded that he's no earthly good."

I believe one of our purposes in this lifetime is to to be of earthly good.  We did not choose to come into this time and space just for our own sake.  We are here in this moment and time to assist in bringing a higher consciousness to all humanity.  We cannot remain so long with our head in the clouds that we are of no earthly good.  To do so would to deny our greater purpose.

Being aware of the divine is sublime, being aware of humanity keeps us humble.  We can only share our light with others by keeping in touch with our own humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment