Thursday, April 25, 2013

What's Wrong with Peace?

I don't understand what's wrong with peace.  I've gotten quite a bit of feedback on my profile picture.  You see, I'm wearing a t-shirt with a peace symbol on it.  I didn't purchase it because I'm some sort of anti-war activist who is fighting salivating for peace.  I purchased it because I happened to like it.  Nothing more; nothing less.
I realize that the peace sign has come to symbolize lots of different things to different people.  I was born in the tumultuous 60's, and I have the utmost respect for veterans and the brave men and women who serve our country in times of both peace and war.  I appreciate and cherish their willingness to place our great country above their own life.  However, I don't believe that the peace sign symbolizes "the great American chicken," or that it means that those of us who wear it are necessarily "foaming-at-the-mouth liberals" and pacifists.  Wearing a peace sign doesn't mean that I'm "un-American", or that I'm not patriotic, or that I should move to a country that took in people who refused to go to war as a matter of conscience.
Most of the backlash I've received has come from people who happen to be religious.  I was raised by and with many of the people who have made disparaging comments.  But here's why I don't get what is wrong with peace:  In Psalm 122:6, we are told to "pray for the peace of Jerusalem."  In Isaiah 9:6, the future messiah is called the Prince of Peace.  In Matthew 5:9, Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God."
We are told to advocate for the peace of Jerusalem.  If Jerusalem is also used as a metaphor for Heaven, a perfected world, and a metaphorical image of wholeness, then why would we not pray for the peace of our Jerusalem?  Why would we not advocate for our own inner wholeness and for the peace of the world we live in?  Would we rather live in conflict with ourselves and others?
Today, I wear this t-shirt proudly.  I wear it because I choose to live a life of peace.  I choose to pray for the peace of Jerusalem.  I choose to pray for the peace of all our Jerusalems.

No comments:

Post a Comment